Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking an experienced Senior Counsel, Regulatory and Licensing to play a key role on the team that is responsible for providing regulatory advice and obtaining and renewing the licenses and regulatory approvals needed to operate all aspects of our business, from cultivation through extraction, manufacturing, distribution and sales. This position will report to the Vice President, Public Affairs and will also work closely with Public Affairs leadership to implement and effectuate Cresco Labs’ strategic mission to have geographic footprint and freedom to operate to make Cresco Labs the most important company in cannabis.
The ideal candidate will have extensive hands-on experience in regulatory compliance and in obtaining and/or maintaining licenses issued by state-level regulatory agencies. This person will possess a strong business partner mindset and be able to execute under tight deadlines and while managing several workstreams simultaneously. Many of the responsibilities will include stakeholder management, law firm management, regulatory compliance, and persuasive yet technical drafting.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Manage and maintain a portfolio of state-level licenses vital to strategic operations of Cresco Labs, encompassing both new applications as well as renewals
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and local cannabis laws and regulations in the markets where Cresco Labs is operational
- Offer input and advice regarding license application drafting and approaches to make Cresco’s application highly persuasive, memorable, and successful
- Provide cross-functional support and regulatory, legal, and strategic advice to internal teams, departments, and stakeholders, including identifying and developing regulatory opportunities
- Collaborate effectively with license managers and business stakeholders to project manage the full license application/renewal lifecycle
- Selectively retain, manage and evaluate outside counsel to support our licensing and regulatory efforts across the full multi-state portfolio of operations
- Work with and supervise technical writers on the team involved in supporting licensing and development initiatives
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders on regulatory and licensing issues as they arise
- Coordinate directly with regulators on questions and issues that may arise in the regulatory or licensing process in order to drive results and policies that benefit both the Company as well as the cannabis industry as a whole
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- JD required
- Minimum 5+ years of experience of legal practice focused on regulatory issues
- Demonstrated experience in successfully obtaining and/or maintaining licenses in highly regulated and complex operating environments
- Demonstrated ability to both work and drive projects independently as well as the ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional groups to set objectives, drive progress, and produce meaningful results
- Strong analytical skills and ability to think through critical information, make informed recommendations, and problem-solve
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Excellent people and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work independently and successfully manage a high-volume workload with tight deadlines
- Ability to model Cresco's Values: Stewardship, Ownership, and Leadership
Cresco Labs is proud to offer eligible employees a robust offering of benefits including, major medical, dental and vision insurance, a 401(K)-match program, FSA/HSA programs, LTD/STD options, life insurance and AD&D. We also offer eligible employees paid holidays and paid time off. Other rewards may include annual discretionary bonuses, stock options as well as participation in our employee discount program. Benefits eligibility for permanent positions may vary by full-time or part-time roles, location, or position.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.