Recently named one of Entrepreneur magazine’s Top 100 Cannabis Leaders, Cresco Labs is one of the largest vertically-integrated multi-state cannabis operators in the United States. Cresco is built to become the most important company in the cannabis industry by combining the most strategic geographic footprint with one of the leading distribution platforms in North America. Employing a consumer-packaged goods (“CPG”) approach to cannabis, Cresco’s house of brands is designed to meet the needs of all consumer segments and includes some of the most recognized and trusted national brands including Cresco, Remedi and Mindy’s, a line of edibles created by James Beard Award-winning chef Mindy Segal. Sunnyside*, Cresco’s national dispensary brand is a wellness-focused retailer designed to build trust, education and convenience for both existing and new cannabis consumers. Recognizing that the cannabis industry is poised to become one of the leading job creators in the country, Cresco has launched the industry’s first national comprehensive Social Equity and Educational Development (SEED) initiative designed to ensure that all members of society have the skills, knowledge and opportunity to work in and own businesses in the cannabis industry.
At Cresco, we aim to lead the nation’s cannabis industry with a focus on regulatory compliance, product consistency, and customer satisfaction. Our operations bring legitimacy to the cannabis industry by acting with the highest level of integrity, strictly adhering to regulations, and promoting the clinical efficacy of cannabis. As Cresco grows, we will operate with the same level of professionalism and precision in each new market we move in to.
Cresco Labs is seeking a Senior Vice President of Construction and Engineering to join our corporate office in Chicago, IL. This individual will report to the EVP of Operations and will be responsible for all construction operations within the company.
The SVP of Construction and Engineering will provide oversight and engage in all aspects of the construction cycle across multiple Cresco sites. This individual will have a strong understanding of wholistic project management, manufacturing operations, and cost principles to ensure all steps are done timely and in conjunction with Cresco’s financial goals. This role will require a high attention to detail to ensure all projects are done safely and efficiently, while maintaining compliance with local regulations. As the company continues to grow, this individual will be responsible for leading and engaging multiple direct reports in a fast-paced, ‘all hands on deck’ environment.
CORE JOB DUTIES
- Lead projects centered around development, renovation, and maintenance from conception to completion; this includes pre-construction planning, estimating, and design
- Optimize facility layouts, production lines, machine operations and network performance
- Develop an adaptable operation to handle new technologies, resulting from alliances with manufacturing and supply chain perspectives
- Sets KPIs and expectations for deliverables; holds teams accountable for meeting agreed upon budgets and timelines
- Manages capital spend as it relates to construction projects; oversees and reviews the development of budget estimates and routinely reviews actual spend to ensure all applicable KPIs are met
- Evaluates and manages risk throughout the division, including regular reports/updates on any identified or anticipated risks
- Creates and implements timelines and critical path scheduling for initial project start up
- Collaborates with project managers and pre-construction staff to review all majority subcontractor and material bids
- Negotiates terms of agreement, drafts contracts, and obtains permits and licenses as needed
- Establishes and maintains key relationships with suppliers, contractors, and vendors
- Responsible for team’s career development and provides training to ensure all team members understand all safety and compliance standards as needed
- Partners with executive leadership members to evaluate the impact of Cresco’s construction projects and plans to the organization overall; this includes presentations around finances and project timelines in accordance with the company’s growth initiatives
- Regularly provides key performance updates on all construction projects to executive leadership
- Develops and implements company policies and procedures to ensure the highest degree of safety, quality, and compliance standards are met by all team members
- Direct and oversee construction projects from conception to completion while monitoring compliance with safety and building regulations
- Engages positively with the communities where Cresco operates to ensure strong partnerships and connections with the local area
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in Building Science, Construction Management, Civil Engineering, or related field required
- Master’s degree and/or Professional Engineer (PE) a plus
- 10+ years of experience within construction development and building engineering in a high growth, multi-site, and highly regulated operation
- 5+ years of experience leading a large team
- Expertise in MEP systems, building and mechanical design using AutoCAD, etc.
- Expertise in relevant rules and regulations around facility construction and maintenance
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite, including Excel and Powerpoint
- Strong understanding of project and cost accounting principles
- Ability to think critically and provide creative solutions as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
- Strong attention to detail, with a proven track record of meeting and exceeding ambitious goals
- Flexible and adaptable mindset
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
Cresco Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all applicants will be considered without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.