Reporting to the Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, the Director of Communications will be a critical member of the company’s Corporate Affairs Team. The role has a guiding voice in all communications matters in Canada with implications for the company’s reputation and more broadly, in matters of consequence to the growth of the business. The challenge will be multidimensional as industry change and growth play out across geographies, cultures and regulatory environments. The Director of Communications is responsible for developing and executing the external communications strategy for Tilray’s portfolio of brands in Canada.
This is a cross-country role with a portfolio that includes Brand Communications for both medical and adult-Use brands.
Roles and Responsibilties
- Lead a multi-channel communications strategy which blends creativity and advanced analytics to reach and engage the company’s many stakeholders
- Ensure that the communications strategy promotes and protects Tilray’s reputation and underscores its authentic commitment to quality products, innovation, corporate citizenship and sustainability.
- Execute strategic communications initiatives to increase awareness of and affinity for the Tilray’s portfolio of brand and its leadership team.
- Develop a marketing communications plan including strategy, goals, budget and tactics
- Oversee ongoing external communications activities, including crisis/issues management and a proactive approach to media relations
- Define key performance indicators for each communications channel which will indicate a campaign's level of success
- Determine strategic communications campaigns that will help further organizational goals
- Maintain oversight and accountability for all external communications, including strategy, design, execution and measurement.
- Develop media relations strategy, seeking high-level placements in print, broadcast and online media
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results on a quarterly basis
- Evaluate opportunities for partnerships and sponsorships on an on-going basis.
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them
- Ensure that all communications and marketing material aligns with brand standards
- Manage external agency and work with communications team members to conceptualize and implement communications strategies and campaigns
- Foster strong and cooperative relationships with media and influencers in existing and future markets
- Be an engaged collaborator with other communications team members globally
- Manage presence at industry events, trade shows, and conferences.
Qualifications and Education requirements
- Degree in Marketing, Communications or another related field.
- 10-12 years of previous experience in the corporate communications field.
- Experience in CPG or Pharmaceutical industry is preferred
- Experience operating at scale in a complex global environment while still maintaining an entrepreneurial mindset and approach.
- A track record serving as a trusted advisor to a senior leadership team is essential
- A leadership role in a fast-growing industry and/or with an iconic brand is highly desirable.
- Able to use all aspects of Communications, in an integrated manner, with the goal of educating and influencing for positive change.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills along with the capability to shape a compelling narrative across audiences.
- Sophisticated understanding of media relations, how journalists operate and what constitutes a story for different venues.
- Has held a leadership role in a best-in-class communications organization.
- Has a disciplined approach, with a bias for planning and measurement, yet able to make good decisions, when necessary, with incomplete information.
- Makes it a practice to solicit other views, consider other perspectives and work to achieve consensus when reaching important decisions.
- Has the credibility and confidence to say to leadership: "Here is what is happening and what it means to us."
- Is willing and able to point out the potential for unintended consequences.
- Knows the facts and respects them.
- Pays attention to details.
- Calmly absorbs complexity and a high volume of work.
- Wants to roll up his or her sleeves and be in the thick of things.
- Maintains the highest levels of quality and accountability.
- Confidence and humility.
- Proven ability to effectively use Microsoft Office Applications
Tilray is a leading global cannabis-lifestyle and consumer packaged goods company with operations in Canada, the United States, Europe, Australia, and Latin America that is changing people's lives for the better – one person at a time – by inspiring and empowering the worldwide community to live their very best life by providing them with products that meet the needs of their mind, body, and soul and invoke a sense of wellbeing. Tilray’s mission is to be the trusted partner for its patients and consumers by providing them with a cultivated experience and health and wellbeing through high-quality, differentiated brands and innovative products. A pioneer in cannabis research, cultivation, and distribution, Tilray’s unprecedented production platform supports over 20 brands in over 20 countries, including comprehensive cannabis offerings, hemp-based foods, and alcoholic beverages.
Tilray welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please advise when submitting your application.
Please note that Tilray does not authorize, engage, or sponsor any consultants, agencies or organizations that seek certain personal or financial information from you (e.g. passwords, login ids, credit card information). High Park does not charge any application, processing or onboarding fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process.
When replying to emails, please ensure the sender name and email address match exactly. Please also ensure the Reply-To address matches the sending address exactly.