Arena Pharmaceuticals is driven to deliver novel, transformational medicines with optimized pharmacology and pharmacokinetics to patients globally. Arena’s proprietary pipeline includes multiple potentially first or best-in-class assets with broad clinical utility.
Arena’s Technical Operations group is responsible for all drug substance and drug product development, including early stage chemistry activities. The Scientist I, Early Stage Drug Substance Development is a hands-on role within the company reporting directly to the Head of Early Stage Drug Substance Development.
The role affords considerable opportunity to contribute to multiple medicinal chemistry and early process development efforts in conjunction with external collaborators/contract research organizations, and to participate in multidisciplinary project teams. Working on projects spanning the entire pharmaceutical development spectrum, with a focus on development of discovery-stage assets, this role will be key in a corporate environment that is committed to developing and delivering novel, high quality pharmaceutical products to patients in need of safe and effective treatment options in a wide range of clinical indications.
What You Will Dive Into:
- Contribute to medicinal chemistry efforts including library design and lead optimization consistent with a target candidate profile to complement Arena’s portfolio of medicinal drugs.
- Evaluate solid state characteristics and scalability to assist in the selection of exploratory development candidates.
- Liaise with internal and external groups to align with timelines and IND-enabling activities.
- Author requests for proposals and engage with vendor selection and vendor management processes.
- Prepare detailed scientific reports to document discovery and early-stage drug substance development activities to support internal and external technical transfer.
- Assist in route scouting and route optimization efforts.
- Support drug substance activities from early discovery to GLP toxicology through IND filing by efficient planning and maintenance of inventory and distribution of API.
- Assist in writing drug substance sections for regulatory filings, including IND or IMPD.
- Track proposals and invoices to ensure alignment with approved Technical Operations budgets.
- Interact with consultants, vendors, and CROs/CMOs to meet aggressive program timelines and budgets.
- Remain flexible to assume other responsibilities as needed
What We Expect:
- MS or PhD degree in chemistry with 5+ or 2+ years of hands-on synthetic, medicinal chemistry and scale-up experience with increasing responsibility in biopharmaceutical discovery and development.
- Successful track record in contributing to the selection of small molecules for pharmaceutical development and activities leading to IND filings.
- Experience in writing/assisting with scientific documents for tech transfers and regulatory submissions.
- Hands-on working experience with drug substance development, as well as good knowledge and understanding of small molecule requirements as medicinal drug candidates.
- Experience working with contract service providers (CROs/CMOs).
- Demonstrated flexibility within a high-paced, changing environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a goal and team-oriented setting.
What We Offer:
- To be part of a growing company and fantastic team passionate about developing novel drug therapies to improve people’s lives
- Opportunities to learn and contribute to creative solutions
- Competitive compensation package including long-term incentives
- Comprehensive health insurance (highly subsidized cost sharing on all medical plans)
- Generous matching 401k retirement plan
- Flexible time off policy and holidays including two company-wide shut-down periods each year
- Multi-cultural work environment
- Company celebrations
This role is to be filled outside of the state of Colorado.
Arena celebrates and supports our differences and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Arena is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting a resume for consideration, applicants verify that they have read Arena's Applicant Personal Information Privacy Notice.