This is an exciting time to join Arena Pharmaceuticals, a clinical stage biotechnology pharmaceutical company with a robust portfolio of assets across multiple therapeutic areas.
The Director, Corporate Development will work collaboratively with Corporate Development colleagues to build external innovation networks and leverage internal cross-functional expertise in pursuit of a wide range of business development objectives. You will be involved in translating corporate and therapeutic area objectives into actionable business development plans aimed at building a sustainable pipeline through portfolio expansion and developing comprehensive partnering plans for Arena’s programs. You will also participate in “incubating” bold and disruptive concepts for transformation including novel M&A strategies and creative deal structures accelerate the value of Arena as well as considering opportunities for rapidly scaling the organization.
What you'll dive into
- Build and maintain external network to identify and access potentially disruptive early-stage opportunities and innovative clinical stage programs in support of Corporate, Therapeutic Area and Corporate Development objectives.
- Participate in internal cross-functional effort (e.g., NSC Working Team) to triage and evaluate external business development opportunities and present select projects to appropriate governance committees - e.g., NSC Steering Committee, Executive PDC, etc.
- Develop comprehensive partnering plans for select Arena programs, includes building qualified target lists, in-depth company profiles, and strategic assessments in coordination with R&D and commercial teams to enable Arena to “get up to speed” for potential engagement, formal evaluation, or in-depth competitor analysis.
- Collaborate with Corporate Development colleagues to provide insights into therapeutic area level strategic plans and translate these into actionable business development strategy.
- Lead due diligence process for in-bound and out-bound new business opportunities by working cross-functionally with select individuals and relevant internal core teams/departments, including, project management, commercial, clinical development & operations, scientific affairs, regulatory, IP/legal, finance and CMC & manufacturing.
- Develop robust and thorough qualitative and quantitative assessments, including financial modeling, deal comparables and other valuation tools to create scenarios and various options in support of negotiations and internal decision-making, in collaboration with colleagues in finance, program management, R&D and commercial.
- Evaluate companies and assets in our competitive space to understand the landscape in Arena’s strategic areas of interest.
- Structure and negotiate select term sheets and agreements in partnership with CBO and SVP Corporate Development; serve as Corporate Development team member as needed on larger transactions.
- Work with teams to prepare presentations to senior management and Board.
- Maintain detailed and up-to-date knowledge of biopharmaceutical deal trends and changes in the market and financing environments, including competitive intelligence, analyst research and company reports, that could impact Arena’s partnering plans and recommend appropriate mid-course corrections to strategies and tactics if necessary.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory and legal requirements and with Arena’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics
What we expect
- Bachelor’s degree required; Advanced degree highly desirable (MBA, PhD, MD)
- 10+ years of pharmaceutical, biotech or investment industry experience
- Proven experience in support of business development initiatives; tangible deal sheet desirable
- Experience in leading or serving on teams involved with business analytics and planning, technical assessments, product evaluations, due diligence efforts strategic and tactical planning, and project management
- Successful history of collaborating with senior and executive leadership teams on cross-functional projects and initiatives
- Strong problem-solving and quantitative skills that can be leveraged for uncovering quick and meaningful solutions to ensure speed of execution and quality are not compromised
- Excellent oral, written, verbal communication, interpersonal and presentation skills required
What you’ll get
- To be a part a growing company and fantastic team passionate about developing novel drug therapies to improve people’s lives
- Opportunities to learn and contribute to creative solutions
- Competitive compensation package including long-term incentives
- Comprehensive health insurance (highly subsidized cost sharing on all medical plans)
- Generous matching 401k retirement plan
- Flexible time off policy and holidays including two company-wide shut-down periods each year
- Multi-cultural work environment
- Company celebrations
Arena celebrates and supports our differences and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Arena is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified iBy submitting a resume for consideration, applicants verify that they have read Arena's Applicant Personal Information
Privacy Notice.Individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.